Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Trip Report: Buying The Dark Tutelage Deck

So I've decided to throw some more money into this hobby as I've been transitioning from Magic Online to cardboard. Today that was spending $50 on my Dark Tutelage deck that's been slick online. Its only other rares beyond Dark Tutelage are a set of Phylactery Liches, one Sword of Vengeance and a Vess.

This deck mostly plays on speed and the combo between Bloodtrone Vampire and Reassembling Skeleton. As you see with Dark Tutelage, I get an extra card at draw step for the penalty of the casting cost (Think of it as passing kidney stones if kidney stones were gold). From here I put down Liches (casting cost of 3) and make a bomb of


Each pair of mana = +2/+2 from the GY and back including what other skeletons I have in play.
Building on the skeleton I have Viscera Seer which can Scry 1 (I can see if I want to draw the next card with Tutelage or not).

If I choose that the next card will kill me on draw or that I don't want it, I can use the same chain of skeletons to find what I need.

Lastly, this is the engine of my life and early tricks.



It's a mono-Black deck and somewhat of a pauper, but that's exactly what I need... a deck to become familiar with the current Type 2 Standard. I used StarCityGames and I'll comment on their shipping... the prices seemed fair.

36 comments:

  1. Seems reasonable...Though I never was a big fan of the dark tutelage card, but with the right backup it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome cards! the art really looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $50? It seems like a fair amount but you've really got this planned out now, haven't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. $50 i can think of something else to get for that much

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan of black, but that deck looks pretty rad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, so that's what scrying is good for. I always considered it a worthless ability.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice combo you have set up there. Yeah definitely going to have to start playing again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wanted to be a magic geek. I feel it's too late to start now though. =(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I take it you've been happy with your purchases thus far?

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks great!
    i like it .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never been into it as much as my friends :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. i got all my cards for free :D i have a crappy deck tho

    ReplyDelete
  13. card games are cool

    http://darkesthourreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have no clue how to play, but the art on the card is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This seems like it would be a pretty interesting deck to use...

    Keep me posted with your posts on how things go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. good to know, nice post

    + follower:)

    ReplyDelete